You are Everything Anxiety Says You’re Not
Beautiful. Lovable. Powerful. Important. Smart.
You’ll be reminded of this every day here at Plenty Woman, a website for women ready to believe we are everything anxiety says we’re not.
No matter your level of anxiety, if you’re a woman, I’m talking to you.
I have generalized anxiety disorder and some pretty ferocious social anxiety. So everything I write is from that perspective. But you don’t have to have a disorder for the things that make me anxious to make you anxious, too.
It’s time to start telling ourselves the truth
Anxiety is a normal and necessary emotion — a natural reaction to situations in which we feel we need to be on high alert. But anxiety can also be fueled by mistaken beliefs rooted in the fear that we are not enough:
- I’m not pretty enough
- I’m not lovable enough
- I’m not powerful enough
- I’m not important enough
- I’m not smart enough
Lies, all of them. But when they’re presented to us as reality when we’re girls, and cemented into our own belief systems as women, it’s hard to believe or behave any other way.
It’s time to start telling ourselves the truth.
What You’ll Find at Plenty Woman
I spent months on the research, covering:
- What anxiety is
- Why some of us are more anxious than others
- Whether women really are more anxious than men
- How anxiety is fueled by mistaken beliefs and negative self-talk
- Ways to minimize anxiety
- Difference between anxiety and anxiety disorders, how anxiety disorders are treated, and how to find help for an anxiety disorder
You’ll find a list of all my sources, too.
Posts and articles
I write six types of posts and articles:
- Essays, like It’s Never About the Centerpiece: The Anxiety of Entertaining
- Worry journal exercises, like The Doctor Is Going to Find Something Horribly Wrong with Me
- Guided meditations, like Paint By Touch: Guided Color Meditation [4 Minutes]
- How to articles, like Foods for Anxiety: What to Eat and Why
- Posts about inspiring books, like How a Buddhist Monk Says We Should Do the Dishes
- Posts about inspiring women, like How Cameron Diaz Helped Me Deal with the Anxiety of Aging
Some things just go better in a letter. Random things. Impulsive things. Unpolished things. It’s pretty infrequent, so there is zero chance of the Plenty Woman Newsletter overwhelming your inbox (seriously, weeks go by). Plus, I include links to the latest posts so you never miss a thing. Come on, ladies, let’s correspond… Subscribe!
Why I’m Doing This
I’m no expert on anxiety. I’m a woman who’s been struggling with it for as long as I can remember, and I’m a writer who wants to focus on a subject I’m more personally invested in than any other.
I want this be a positive, supportive, interactive experience for us — not one aimed at eliminating anxiety, as that is an impossibility, but minimizing it, managing it, and seeing our way through it.
Founder, Plenty Woman